July 13, 2012

Trolling in Twoson



In Onett, enemies did not appear within the boundaries of town. In Twoson, some of the townsfolk ARE bad guys!



These guys are mostly soft, but they start introducing some ridiculous and tricky strategies, brushing their teeth and acting like drunk weirdos to buff, debuff, and stun.

Anyway, from this point on, I'm not going to do so much of a play-by-play of the game. There enough yokels whom I've stolen images from who've been down that road. From now on I'm just gonna comment where the commenting is good.

SO in Twoson you find out that your next party member, the telepathic Paula, has been kidnapped by the Happy Happyist cult. Her parents, who run the preschool, are the last to find out.

In order to get to Happy Happy Village, you have to go through Peaceful Rest Valley.

Not very far into the valley, you run into this.



There is no way past it. At least not now. And yet, this is the direction you're supposed to go! So I guess there's something you need back in Twoson?

You have to talk to the inventors! One of them can give you something useful, probably! Let's talk to the handsome young Orange Kid.



Greetings. I'm Orange Kid, the inventor. Have you heard of me? I'm a bit
embarrassed about my reputation. I have a lot of inventions in development,
but I'm running short of cash. I'm basically a happy-go-lucky person, so I'm
not worried. You know, I'm working on this machine that would really help you
in Peaceful Rest Valley. I hope it's ready soon... what? You're actually
willing to help finance the project?

>Yes

Oh goody! Would it be okay to get $200 to buy materials?

>Yes

Thank you very much! Your support should have a tremendous impact on all
mankind.

Let me give you my new "Super Orange Machine." I call it "Suporma" for short.
Please use it for spreading peace and goodwill on Earth.

Alright let's go back to Peaceful Rest Valley and try this out.

The Suporma sang the song "Ode to Orange Kid." As soon as it finished, the
machine broke down.

...

Alright, my confidence in inventors has taken a hit, but let's try talking to the dweeby Apple Kid.


Well, I have sort of neglected doing my housework... I know it's a bit of a
pig sty, but anyway... I'm Apple Kid. I haven't taken a bath in quite a while,
so I may be kind of stinky.

By the way, I'm starving. Do you have something to eat? If you do, can I have
some?

>Yes

What can you give me?
Please choose something edible... I'm not a garbage can, you know.

>anything edible

Thanks. You seem very nice. Uh, I wonder if... Maybe you would like to
invest some money in my inventions?

>Yes

Yes! Yes! Yes! Oh. Excuse me. I mean thank you! By the way, I could really
use $200.

>Yes

Thank you. I won't let you down.

The invention isn't ready off the bat, though. In the meanwhile, Apple Kid's pet mouse gives me the Receiver Phone, with which I can receive a phone call from anywhere in the world. Though I can't make outgoing calls with it.



Only after dicking around for a little bit will you get a call from Apple Kid tell you he finished his invention: the Pencil Eraser, which will erase any pencil shaped object.



This interlude demonstrates another thing Earthbound is good at: trolling. Even if you invested in the inventions before you headed for Peaceful Rest Valley, the Pencil Eraser would not be complete until went to the iron pencil statue and came back to town.

This also acts as an additional incident of the motif started with the introduction of Buzz Buzz: never judging a book by its cover. The pudgy, stinky Apple Kid was much nicer and more useful than the slick and vain Orange Kid.

The whole game is like this. In addition to your party members, you will make the most unlikely of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment